Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Benguet-Nueva Vizcaya Road (Baguio-Aritao Road)



One of the many majestic views on Benguet-Nueva Vizcaya Road


This road deserves its own post.

Last November 2014, we passed Benguet-Nueva Vizcaya Road on our way from Baguio, Benguet to Cauayan, Isabela. It was a total of 6 hour land trip from Baguio to Cauayan in which 2 hours of travel were spent on zigzag roads similar to Kennon Road.

I was grateful that TP is an enthusiastic driver – he finds real joy in driving.. Well, unless when he gets to feel exhaustion or, when we are in Manila, stuck in traffic or doing defensive driving from rash drivers. I had the option to go to Manila and take the plane to Cauayan; however he suggested that he drive me on my weekend work so we can be together. This guy! <3  



I expected a long road trip with occasional stopovers to see sights and try the food. What I did not expect was how beautiful the Benguet-Nueva Vizcaya road is. Most times on its smooth zigzag roads, I felt like we were cruising in a foreign country. I was just tapping away, taking photos with my phone, and looking at the shots, it feels like every scene is different. There were places wherein I would like to return one weekend and have a picnic in several wide grassy spots, overlooking views only God can make.

Ambuklao Dam
Huts and Fish Pens in the Reservoir
Benguet-Nueva Vizcaya Road
A striking house along the road
Skies rolling over the mountains.. Amazingly, it looks like a huge tidal wave.
Cows in the middle of the road is a normal way of life.
Shades of green
Lush mountainside

I can imagine the roads of Baguio City to be similar to the Benguet-Nueva Vizcaya road in the past. I hope future development along its roads will be carefully planned and nicely implemented.

Also, I hope that safety will be ensured to those who will pass there, not just because of the ravines but of armed militants. We never experienced anything bad during our travel but we were warned by a friend to traverse the road early – one must not be in the area when the dark sets in. In the afternoon on our way back to Baguio, a lot of vehicles are still traveling along the road, and I was praying that the warning is more of an old tale than a current measure of precaution.

With the Ambuklao Dam, lush Cordillera mountains and pockets of nature’s wonder, Benguet-Nueva Vizcaya road is in itself a destination.


*The Benguet-Nueva Vizcaya road spans 104 kilometers and is the shortest route between the provinces of Nueva Vizcaya, Quirino in the northeast and the provinces of Benguet, La Union and Ilocos Sur in the northwest, according to DPWH-CAR Philippines. The road also links Cagayan Valley. www.gobaguio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment